Sensor point of interest, you basically flag a sensor of interest as the primary sensor, then all other sensors can be slaved to it. For example, if you slave all sensors to the TGP, your maverick will see the same thing the TGP does.
You do tms-up long with any sensor as sensor of interest (SOI) to make it SPI.
How to Use Mavericks: Concept
- You will use the TGP to find shit.
- You will make the TGP SPI so you can slave all sensors to it.
- You will use the slaved maverick to kill shit.
How to Use Mavericks: Checklist
- Find something you want to kill. A common occurrence is to have the JTAC send you data. If this happens make the TAD the SOI, slew to the red triangle, tms up short to hook it, then tms up long to make it SPI. Then press china hat forward long to slave all sensors to SPI. Now your TGP will be looking at the position the JTAC wants you to attack.
- Make TGP SOI and find the target. Now make the TGP SPI (tms up long).
- Switch to Maverick, china hat forward long to slave all sensors to SPI (which is currently TGP). The maverick will now slave onto what the TGP is looking at.
- Tap tms up short to lock onto the target. You might have to expand the maverick view by tapping china hat forward short in order for it to lock. Keep tapping tms up short until it locks on, it'll wiggle a bit and you'll know its locked on.
- Pickle. If there are other targets nearby (like a column) you can return to the SPI by pressing china hat forward long and then slew the sensor onto a nearby target. IT should snap onto them. If you need to ground stabilize the maverick (stop it from slewing) press TMS down. Its really hard to use the maverick sensor at ranges shorter than 7 miles.
- When you visually find shit you want to kill, switch to TGP on the left MFD and keep the maverick on the right MFD. Now you can just move the TGP from one target to another and you will always know if the TGP is aligned properly. Sometimes the TGP gimbals can roll and go off the target, or you will be masked so long that it will go inertial and float off the target. You should know about this as its happening, not when you try to fire your maverick, so make sure you can see the TGP.
- When you make the TGP SPI you will no longer be able to return to the original position of the target area like you did with the TAD as SPI. So in order to get a reference for the general target area press tms-right when you are first looking at the area to make a mark point. You will see a lettered waypoint on your map (the first markpoint is A, the second is B, etc). If you ever get lost you can just rehook the markpoint, make it spi, then slave all sensors to it. OR you can switch the knob under your CDU (keyboard/screen on the bottom right of the cockpit) to "markpoint" and then the flightplan will only include markpoints.
- Dms left long to share your SPI with your team mates so they can see it.
- If you want to use the maverick off boresight, press china hat down short. This will return the mav seeker to your boresight, then you can make it or the hud SOI and slew it around manually.